Thursday 22 September 2011

"Sorry Coach, I can't Make Sunday!"

Paul Levy at the Reformation 21 blog just wrote a short post about Euan Murray the Scottish prop, who shall not be playing on Sundays throughout the rugby world cup. Full story at the BBC sports site.

Murray, well known for being a christian was quoted saying,  
"It's basically all or nothing, following Jesus. I don't believe in pick 'n' mix Christianity. I believe the Bible is the word of God, so who am I to ignore something from it? I might as well tear out that page then keep tearing out pages as and when it suits me. If I started out like that there would soon be nothing left. I want to live my life believing and doing the things (God) wants and the Sabbath day is a full day. It's not a case of a couple of hours in church then playing rugby or going down the pub, it's the full day."
A lot of sport is played on Sundays. Murray feels there should be no sport played on Sundays and hopes for change in the future. I can't see it happening though! 

Murray has always been outspoken about his faith. It's great to see sportsmen who are radical and serious about their faith speaking out regularly in public. There have been numerous sportsmen in the past who have done the same Eric Liddell and Jonathan Edwards among the most famous.

Jason Robinson (another well known Christian) actually committed his life to Christ because his Wigan team-mate Va'aiga Tuigamala was open about his faith in Christ.

I am sure Murray's comments will draw a lot of attention, both positive and negative. I say fair play to the bloke! We need to see more Christians at all level of sport taking their stand for Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment