Friday 27 May 2011

Memory & Meditation

Scripture memory can be one of the most challenging yet rewarding disciplines of the christian walk. Some of us possess the memory power of the average goldfish (myself included in this), which means it can be a challenge to make the time and effort to memorize the word of God, knowing full well that we will forget it as soon as we have learnt it.

John Piper in his book Desiring God dedicates a whole chapter to Scripture:Kindling for christian hedonism. He talks about how he has been blessed by memorizing scripture and using it for worship and warfare. 

I myself have been following a program for scripture memorization. I find that have structure really helps with discipline---much the same as reading the word of God. I was amazed at how many resources are out there. I will list several of them at the bottom of the post. 

Even in the week or so I have been working through this structured program I have found that I am retaining what I have learnt. I'm also finding that while I am sat at my desk I'll be thinking through and meditating on the passages that I have memorized. 

Why not give it a go? You will be blessed by it! "Let us labour to memorize the Word of God---for worship and for warfare. If we do not carry it in our heads, we cannot savour it in our hearts or wield it in our spirit." Piper, Desiring God. 
  1.  
   http://blog.ministrygrowers.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/2009biblememorization-esv.pdf

This is the one that I am doing. It gives smaller chunks than the second option (considerably smaller chunks) but still gives more than a single verse. 

   
     2.

http://www.fbcdurham.org/assets/Media-Library/Scripture-Memory-Booklet-for-Publication-Website-Layout.pdf?phpMyAdmin=ww-4Qf9q8l6bkWILEZvm3GweI4c

 This second resource takes a different approach, memorizing whole books of the bible rather than just small parts. This is a long term approach to scripture memory and I myself have not yet attempted it. Joshua Harris recommended this one on his blog a while back. Give it a go and let me know how you get on.

The main point I would like to make is to commit to it and see it through. Ask God for grace in the task and pray that he would be glorified through it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment